. .

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

No on Prop 8

Controversial topic up ahead! Hehe, thought a warning is fair. Not crossposting this one.

Before I ramble about less time pressing issues, I'm going to express my opinion about Prop 8 in California. Let me say this first and now - I am dead AGAINST this proposition. I never, ever talk about politics. I mean ever. But today, I'll make an exception because election day is rapidly approaching. ::inhales:: Ikuzo-!

Nooooo to Prop 8! Reasons? Many, partially are personal bias, but there are many other reasons. Let's start with human rights. Okay, isn't it enough that churches won't sanction a homosexual marriage, but now that after the CA government has finally decided to allow it by law, we're going to force the clock back? Why are we fighting progress? I'm talking about the acceptance and humility, to stop judging others and think that the way we have practiced things is always just and right. Sexuality is not chosen at will, the orientation that is, but the conduct is. One argument says that it is not natural to be homosexual, and while I cannot say whether it is the BEST intention of nature (because, yes, it kind of stops the whole procreation aspect of life), it does occur naturally. Animals, even fruit flies, have been shown to be attracted to their own sex (sex=biological, gender=sexual difference). I remember watching the results for an experiment in which they cloned "gay" fruit flies, and voila, circular formation! Okay, so that's not my dish of ideal entertainment, but it does bring evidence to the table. Studies on the human hypothalamus (correct me if I'm wrong, where's my biopsych teacher when I need him?) have implicated that a difference in size of the INAH 3 region (it's in the front section) have correlated between heterosexual and homosexual men. Not surprisingly, the INAH 3 in homosexual men is approximately the same size of that in heterosexual women. (My brain hurts from the repetition.) And while this correlation does not ultimately prove that there is a definite biological discrepancy that determines one's sexuality, we can discuss hormones and what we call "chemical" attraction. Every living being has a method of transmitting and detecting biological signals that are unconscious and totally unintentional. Humans give off hormones whether they like it or not, depending on where in their cycle they are or under what circumstances, and it's not always what the eye sees or what you hear or what you know about a certain person that will draw you to or repel you from another person. A good deal of homosexuals (and heterosexuals, even) will say they have what's called "gaydar," which doesn't necessarily pertain to detecting how someone acts but what they "feel" about that person. What exactly is this "feeling" anyway? Some people brush it off as just a vibe, but what you don't know is that if you are/were in near proximity to this person your "gaydar" is going off on, there's a very likely chance that the hormones they're giving off are blatantly telling you their orientation. Not kidding, at ALL. I have a string of "coincidences" that pertain to this topic, where one of my friends is constantly attracted to gay and bisexual men where I am always repelled by them, instinctually, not because I don't like them as people or anything. (In fact, these people end up being some of the most wonderful people I'll ever meet. ♥) Anyway, before I lose my point, this indicates that sexual orientation is determined biologically and genetically, and so just because someone can never fall in love with the opposite sex and want to marry them, they cannot be allowed to fall in love and marry? There's too much to say on this topic, so I'll leave the rest of my reasons for another time (because just one point takes me forever to get through), but just based on that one reason alone, what right do we have to deny same-sex couples the right to marry under the court of law? When very critical issues are at hand here, such as hospital rights, financial issues, etc, this is outright discrimination. If you are opinionated to believe that these unions are wrong, then so be it, nobody can force you to change your mind, but please allow these people the chance to marry and live their lives together as they so please. Vote NO on Prop 8.

And let's not even get me started on the whole "teaching kids about gay marriage" thing. :) I will scream. Anyone who saw that shameless commercial (if you saw it, you'll know what I speak of), I strongly urge you to read this page to shed some light on this blatant exploitation and disregard to these actual people's families. Speaking as someone who wants to teach in the next few years, even though I feel strongly about this issue, I would never bring up this topic in a classroom unless it were related to the curriculum. It's useless to bring this up in our traditional classes, unless we're talking about health and sex education class. There's more to this, but I'll leave it at that for now. ::pokes the advertisements madly::

In the end, is love ever wrong? When one finds what love is for them, and everything starts making sense, is it anyone else's place to tell them "what you are doing is wrong" ...? I find this most problematic. I don't think anyone has the right to speak for someone else in regards to this topic. Learn for yourself what love is, don't judge others. That's for God to decide. Live your life to the fullest, live the way you think is right, but don't try to make someone else live their life the way you would IF you were them, which you are obviously not. Advice and counsel can be given to an extent, but when it comes down to rights, think about it, do you think any human institution should have the right to stop someone from being bonded to someone they love? Just because they're different? I honestly think that we, as a society, do not educate ourselves enough in regards to the topic of sexuality. In a world where every corner flashes signs and talk of carnal sex and lust, why is it so taboo to talk bout same-sex couples who are in love?

I think www.noonprop8.com has some other good points too.

Trying to restrain myself from being emotional over this topic exhausts me. Knowing that there are people who support NO on Prop 8 makes my eyes water with relief. Please, please please please, people, join the fight against discrimination. Enough is enough.

No comments:

.
.