. .

Thursday, November 13, 2008

Disappointment

You know, in this fight against injustice and discrimination, I'm saddened to see that people who support gay marriage are getting violent in both action and speech against the opposing side. I am equally upset about the passing of the ban, but I do not wish ill on people who feel and think differently. Everyone has the right to their opinion, nobody is forcing you to believe what the other side believes, but there's a thing called respect and loving your neighbor. If they disagree with you, that's okay, but when someone gets hurt, that's NOT okay. Personally, I am horrified that California, a diverse state, can pass a law that limits the "rights" (I use that term loosely because I believe it to be a privilege, although in the eyes of the law, it qualifies as a "civil right") of a certain group. They say gay people are a minority, but do we really know that? There are so many people out there who are simply "in the closet," who parade around as "straight" because they know they will be discriminated and condemned for simply being different. So can we even call them a minority? Just because it's not as obvious as something like skin colour doesn't mean that they make up a small percentage. However, even if they are a minority, this country's Constitution promises hopes of freedom, equality, and protection to all. We know that not everyone is created equal, and it would be a farce if anyone told me I'm equal to my parents, but under the law, we should be treated as equal regardless. On the legal side, this fight over Prop 8 is utterly ridiculous because it should be obvious that the proposition tries to suppress a certain group, or a "suspect class," from having the same "rights" as any other "normal" citizen should, and who exactly is "normal" anyway? Still, the sentiments clash from both sides, and because one side lost, they're now retaliating. If you people act violently and bash groups of people based on their support of the proposition, then how are you any better than those you are against? Dirty tactics like that won't bring about any change in the law, it will only bring negative attention and feedback! I understand you are hurt and angry, but is hurting other people and blaming everybody left right and center going to fix the problem? This is a problem with our legal system, parade and demonstrate all you want, but do so respectfully and in such a way that we can reverse this. There are people who are trying to fix this in our government and using legal action, so see, something is being done already. To the regular citizen, if you want to show the world that you're serious, ACT IT!!! Don't parade around to target the Mormon temples, threatening to destroy things, and run around name-calling. If you want to be taken seriously, stop the mob mentality and acting like immature temper-tantrum brats. I'm saying all this because I DEEPLY care about this issue and I really, really want to live to see people with alternate sexual orientations treated equally in the eyes of the law. We all know that the law isn't going to change anyone's opinions, and while it hurts to know that are always going to people who think you're filth and sinning or something, we should at least live in a country that upholds its own Constitution.

With all that said, I still feel that there is nothing wrong with homosexuality. I do not believe it is a sin, but hey, maybe I'm wrong. Still, I'm going to let God judge my beliefs, and I'll live my life to the best that I can. That's all we can ask of humanity, right? Live, be good, love one another, and die when our time comes. If we see someone in the wrong, we try to help them out by fixing it, right? But if that person is just loving someone else, someone you might see as "wrong" for them, but they are happy, is it really a good thing for you to intervene and try to take that happiness away from them? I'm not talking about drugs, alcoholism, stealing, or murder, I'm talking about genuine love for another human being. Now tell me that it's wrong to support this, because I cannot find anywhere in my heart to condemn someone else for loving someone. God wants us to love each other, He IS love, so I'm going to do just that, regardless of who they are and what they choose to do. If Jesus, who is fully god and also fully human, can show us unconditional love, I'm going to strive to try to be like Him too.

No comments:

.
.